Wednesday, March 28, 2012

assignment #2


Ahn’s writing gives a close description of how food is a big part of life due to the cultural significance it carries.  Coming to the United States from Korea was undoubtedly tough due to the cultural changes.  Aside from the language barrier there are many other things that would make life tough.  These may be looked on as smaller or less important, but in reality they can be just as big, and carry even more significance.  The two cultures were constantly contrasted while he grew up.  His mother made meals from back home and spoke in their original language, while his father tried harder to assimilate to the American culture.  While being distance from his home culture and birth land, Roy Ahn is brought back into the culture and lifestyle through food.  Food is something that uses almost all of the senses.  The eater tastes it, smells it, feels it with their tongue, and gets to look at it before they dig in.  The active use of such senses is sure to bring back memories.  Ahn’s writing definitely had a stronger cultural significance but Nicholson’s also tied memories to food.  Nicholson’s writing used the memories of food and the senses it triggers to talk about the memories of his mother and what she ate.  In both stories food has a strong connection to the author’s heritage.  Food helps them remember who they are, and where exactly they come from. 
            Reading these didn’t really make me think of my connection to food, but they did make me realize how and maybe why food can bring up so many memories.  Use of the senses can help trigger strong memories.  When I eat certain things I always think of past times when I enjoyed them with friends or family.  Lasagna makes me think of having dinner at my grandparents house with my uncle visiting from California.  Having a burrito always makes me think of my friend Alex and the many times we chowed down on Mexican food together after skiing in the winter or long boarding in the summer.  Food helps tie yourself to who you are and where you come from, just as these two stories showed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment