Monday, April 2, 2012

christmas dinner SE#1


Food, like air and water, is necessary for life.  That being said, I don’t think the main reason I eat is to survive.  Although it is true that when I get hungry I am more prone to eat than when I am not; but I believe the main reason I eat is for enjoyment.  Why do so many people complain about the dining hall food at DU, because it isn’t enjoyable.  It tastes bad.  Having the same hamburgers and grilled cheese sandwiches everyday really starts to suck.  If someone ate at a different restaurant everyday, I highly doubt they would complain about the food.  I now wonder, what exactly about food is so pleasurable?  As I have talked about before, eating uses almost all of the senses.  When the food is being made, or first presented, the person about to eat it will first study and examine how it looks.  Before they have even tasted it, judgments are being made.  Next, depending on the type of food and its temperature, they will smell it.  This sniffing can be both intentional and unintentional.  These two actions happen in fractions of a second.  Commonly the eater, or in this case myself, will dive right in and begin chowing down on the meal.  As the first bite enters, flavor spreads throughout the mouth like wildfire.  This is when they really decide whether they enjoy the food or not.  Apart from the actual taste, there are many other factors that can skew the way the eater rates his or her food.  Ambiance is a huge factor the setting of the restaurant forces you to use your ears and eyes, as you try to get a feel of the place.  If I am at a restaurant with crying little kids surrounding me, there is no chance I am going to enjoy my food.  To contrast that, if I’m at a restaurant that is playing music I enjoy, at a comfortable volume where I can still talk to those I am sitting with, chances are I would enjoy my food more. 
I believe that I use food as a means to socialize and interact with others.  It is common for me to ask someone to get lunch, or even dinner, who likes to eat alone?  Food is used as a means of being social.  This can range from eating with a group of friends, to eating with a significant other, or even to a strictly business meal.  My favorite type of meal is probably that shared with my family on Christmas.  It has become a tradition for everyone to gather at my grandparent’s house for a Christmas party.  My dads two brothers and their younger sister all bring over their respective spouses and children.  We set up two tables, one for the adults and the other for the kids.  My thirteen cousins and I always dine together.  It is standard for us to have ham, homemade cheddar mashed potatoes, some vegetable, cranberry gelatin, and hot bread rolls.  The rolls are everyone’s favorite part.  These hot rolls can be torn apart effortlessly as your eyes are almost forced to stare in amazement while your mouth begins to water.  Once ripped open, it is customary to apply a coat of butter for added flavor.  My one cousin Mike holds the family record of eating the most rolls.  We all love them, but he goes nuts.  Most people choose their seats due to whoever they want to sit next to, but I’m almost positive he tries to place himself closest to the rolls.  We dine in the confines of my grandparent’s house.  Handmade clocks from my Grandpa coat the walls, along with pictures and family memorabilia that is irreplaceable.  Golf is always on the television, and while it might put everyone else to sleep, my Grandpa loves it.  There is nothing more exciting to an old man that a fine game of golf.  Before dinner, we all crowd in the family room, catching up and conversing, sharing funny stories.  Come to think of it, the golf game might be the only reason that there is such good conversation outside of the game.  After we eat, everyone goes away from the table for a while, during this time the women of the house gather in the kitchen to load the dishwasher and prepare for dessert.  My mother’s chocolate Texas cake is always everyone’s favorite.  We have cake and milk, everyone is shortly after put into a food-coma and retreats back into the living room to hangout. 
When I think about Christmas dinner, it is not just the delicious food that comes to mind.  Memories of spending time with all my cousins in my grandparents house emerge from somewhere deep in my mind, playing Ping-Pong in their basement, watching my Grandpa operate his model trains, opening presents in their basement, and my uncles all telling funny stories are the things I think of.  I think that due to the sensory use involved in a great meal, the events closely tied to it are that much easier to remember, and that much more unforgettable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment